Starting November 1, 2020, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine will issue Ukrainian electronic visas (e-visas) to visiting foreigners via an improved and more efficient procedure.
Origins of the Ukrainian electronic visa (e-Visa)
In 2018 the Ukrainian government introduced a new type of visa for foreigners desiring to visit Ukraine for short periods. The e-visa was designed to promote tourism in Ukraine by simplifying the procedure for obtaining visas for nationals of states not subject to the visa-free program.
E-visas are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and allow a single entry where the purpose of the trip is business, a private visit, tourism, medical treatment, cultural, scientific, educational or sports activities, or activities by foreign mass media. They are available for stays of up to 30 days.
The electronic visa system allows applications from anywhere in the world. Among the notable advantages of this system is that prospective travelers no longer need to visit an embassy; you can apply for the visa and pay the fee a at any time via the Internet.
Key Features of the e-Visa
Main Features of the e-Visa:
- applicants may submit their documents remotely at any convenient time and can obtain a visa without needing to visit a consular office;
- applicants can track the status of e-visa processing online;
- all e-visas are issued by the MFA of Ukraine;
- there is constant information support for applicants at email@example.com;
- processing time is up to 3 business days;
- cost of a visa is US $20-$60 (depending on urgency and number of entries);
- visas are valid for up to 30 days.
In accordance with the new improved procedure, e-visas will be issued for a single or a double entry into Ukraine and allow holders to stay in Ukraine for up to 30 days.
In addition, foreigners will have a choice of procedure: expedited (1 business day) or standard (3 business days). E-visa fees also have been significantly reduced:
- Single-entry e-visa: US $20 for standard service and US $40 for expedited;
- Double-entry e-visa – US $30 for standard service and US $60 for expedited.
How to apply for and obtain an e-visa
To apply, use the official web-platform of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine.
You will need to fill out the application form, upload scanned copies of supporting documents, and pay the consular fee online with a bank card.
The documents required for an e-visa are the following:
- valid passport;
- valid health insurance policy with coverage of at least EUR 30,000;
- a document confirming the availability of sufficient financial security for the period of the planned stay and for return to the country of origin (bank statements, etc.);
- a document confirming the purpose of the trip (in Ukrainian or English). Each purpose requires a unique type of document, e.g., for a business trip, an invitation from a legal entity registered in Ukraine for that purpose.
The e-visa or notice of refusal will be sent to the foreigner’s email address in pdf format. Upon arrival to Ukraine, the foreigner should present the printed e-visa along with his/her valid passport to Ukraine’s State Border Guard Service officers.
Nationals of the the following countries are eligible for e-visas include:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
Should you have any further questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.